Studying in Dhaka

I was flying back to Dhaka when on board I saw a magazine.  I usually talk to people next to me or at least greet them with gentle smile. This time I was earlier.  A Japanese woman who was sitting next to me had a child seemingly an abnormal one.Therefore, I didn't.  I took up a magazine and randomly flipped it. I saw The Hitch Hiking Diary. The first sentence it read; "life is about hitting the road when you are not one among the league of extraordinary flyers". This kept me thinking for sometime, and I sure knew being in Dhaka is not being in the later. Somehow my determination to become a dentist kept me going.

It is hot today. The temperature is pretty much high, enough to have melted whole mountain of snow. The beggars on the streets are all the same. Life is full of contrasts. And I am yet to find the equilibrium. Like any other day, I dressed up, put my apron on and headed for college. Lately,I have realized how noisy Dhaka can be, therefore, I didn't forget to put in my bag my iPod and Dr. Dre along. Yes, Dhaka is noisy, and there is no doubt about it. The moment I came outta gate, the truncated noise came out of nowhere, and when I gazed my vicinity, it didn't take me long to figure it out that it was a prayer from the mosque nearby.  It is early in the morning, as bare a 6 am. Allah sure would have been happy about this.  But what the hell?. Why didn't I recognize the mosque before?


It is a common sight to see Hazur, with flattened hat over his head and goatee all over adding to the mustache which gives him the value to show just exactly one third of his face. I like their dress, a beautifully stitched pure white all over. The veil is not so common though. I have traveled through middle east, and have seen pretty much of it, with women having to show just the eyes. Well, as in here, I have hardly seen any veil, neither is scarf over head so common. And rarely can can you see girls smoking either. Are girls more educated in Bangladesh? 

If any thing that needs to be learnt from here is this; it is a taboo, for a guy to sit in the bus without offering his seat to any girl standing, be it teenager, mother or an old grandma. I was on a recklessly driven bus today, and I mean recklessly driven, you wont know it until you come to Dhaka, and a group of boys were seated right next to a windowpane fully comfortable. Right in time, few girls came in with rushed up hush  and gladly enough the guys offered seat to these girls and moved to backside which was not so comfy. Yet then again, few elderly lady came along and they again gladly offered their seat. It has been customary here. They respect woman and I very much appreciated it. 

I got out from station near my college and was headed to college. Dr. Dre is still playing ample music to keep me floated, the weather not so hot in the morning. I got in the campus, and greeted few professors who very much love using their language in between lectures. Heading to the class, gonna be a pretty much of time in the lift, and I am prone to keeping away with Dr. Dre only if few whom I call pretty classmates are in way of mine. Thank god, today Farhana had gotten on the same time as mine. In the lift I took all my macho  and tried to play a soft voice gentle guy knowing I am not one.I am aware of my husky voice and not so lovable face. Ting tong, god damn! It  is the 4th floor Farhana's, take out point. She is in A batch by the way. Two more floor flats to go,  and I am with my batch mates. 

Physiology lecture was going on. What the hell?. Urinary system?.  Didn't I come here to learn how to take out somebody's teeth? God damn! It is nothing sorta what I had been imagining a dentistry course would be. Studying eleven modules in a semester. Well not to mention reproductive system and embryology. What's going on? I don't k now shits if somebody has a root canal infection in his teeth yet, is this class really necessary? Yes it definitely is. Dentistry, is not just about teeth, it is about almost all of your body. 
Thank god we don't have to study upper and lower extremities, otherwise, what the hell?, I nearly failed in Anatomy last semester. Dental surgery requires more time and patience to go along. Just with teeth as many of us might imagine doesn't work. You have to study all shits, be it your hair folicles of sebaceous cyst for that matter.
The next class gonna be dissection class.  I would have cried enough with formalin before I come outta class. It is such an irony though, I wonder how government here thought that one hundred and forty students could fit in a ten meter square room with dissection tables all over and cadavers lying all on it. Sure, it is not smelly, but the cry from formalin pays for it. Might one ask why I don't use goggle?  Nobody here does; and it makes me odd being only me using it. and yet surgical gloves and masks. I really think Bangladeshi government needs to do better on promoting public facilities.

It has barely been five months and already started feeling like years. So I will just do my part, complete five years study and let the same river flow it's way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KINGDOM

A thinkable Paradox?

Dechen's Guilt