In Another world

Yesterday, I arrived in Tokyo, serendipitously on the last flight permitted before the Japanese government halted all international arrivals. It feels almost fated that I'm here to embark on my master's in public health, especially during a global crisis as defining as the COVID-19 pandemic. My passion for public health has been a beacon throughout my studies and career, and it has never felt more relevant than now, in these trying times.

The transition hasn't been without its challenges. Last night, a blend of excitement and jet lag kept me awake, with mild headaches adding to my restlessness. As I adjust to the time difference, I find myself wide awake at what would be dinner time back in Bhutan, while it's already midnight here in Tokyo. The city feels different under the weight of the pandemic; the eerie sound of sirens outside and the unusually empty streets serve as stark reminders of our current reality.

Japan has intensified its measures against COVID-19, particularly with the emergence of new variants. My journey here, alongside a fellow teacher, was marked by stringent safety protocols on All Nippon Airline, including mandatory masks and face shields. Upon arrival, the airport's rigorous screening process and the compulsory 14-day quarantine underscored the severity of the situation.

Isolation has heightened my longing for home. The lack of activities during quarantine leaves me with ample time to reflect and miss my family even more. My daughter, Jetsun, is in the third grade, and we've found joy in exchanging love emojis and seeing how many she can capture on her tablet. The screenshots of her tally are a small but significant source of happiness. Dharma, still a baby, astonishes me with his rapid development, which I follow through videos sent by his mother. Witnessing their growth from afar, I'm reminded of how quickly children evolve, both physically and intellectually.

The uncertainty of when I'll return to Bhutan looms over me, but I am committed to completing my master's program. Japan's advanced development offers a stark contrast to Bhutan, and I'm eager to explore its many facets. Today marks my first day of quarantine, with 13 more to go before I can truly experience Tokyo. Despite the pandemic's restrictions, I remain hopeful that I can make the most of my time here and enrich my understanding of public health in a context that could hardly be more relevant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

APEMS – Assistance for Privately Enrolled Medical Students

Why I think the NC's decision to tobacco act is Right

Iwai English Camp